Sunday, November 4, 2012

Technology Based Tools as Alternative Assessment

This week has been an enriching one for me despite my busy schedule as center superintendent for university examinations.
I first looked at the resources and sites for a bird's eye-view of the topics to be covered.
There are three main topics, namely Project Based Learning(PBL), WebQuest, and Rubric/Alternative Assessment.
I went through the following web-based documents:

1. CAL: Digests: Practical Ideas On Alternative Assessment For ESL Students
2. Project-Based Learning | Edutopia
3. Alternative Assessment
4. ATESL - Project-based ESL Education: Promoting Language and Content Learning

Then I thought of following the instructions regarding how to create the webquest and rubric.
I registered myself in the following sites:
1. www.rubistar.4teachers.org
2. www. zunal.com
I planned my lesson and webquest in the websites for public use and reference.

I have learnt many new things this week and realized how technology can help a language teacher in modern times.
The language teacher can design lessons; he can inquire, investigate and research resources available on the Net; and he can also find tools for alternative assessment by making a rubric online.
Such an enriching experience: "less teaching and more learning" really with a variety of resources available online.
I have not explored all the prescribed sites and documents for this week due to my local official assignments.
Hope I will make a detailed survey of all soon after my official works are over.
Then only I can make myself a digital language teacher for the sake my learners and future students of the present generation.
Thanks Courtney for all these new elements as a part of this course.
Hope some of my colleagues would give their valuable comments for my improvement as a teacher of ESL.
Sincerely,
Mahesh  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mahesh,

I totally agree with your findings this week that with the help of what we have learnt, "the language teacher can design lessons; he can inquire, investigate and research resources available".

This has been a course in the empowerment of teachers like us in a big way.

And yes, thank you for the motivating words that you left on my blog. It was a big consolation and helped me cheer up.

Keep sharing.

Best wishes,

Ashish Pande

Dr. Doman said...

Hi, Mahesh,
It sounds like you had quite a busy week at work. What does your job entail as overseeing the university's examinations. Does that mean that you have to plan and schedule the final examination period at the end of the semester? Or does that mean that you have to create a certain subset of exams?

I wonder how you do it all. It sounds very busy on your end.

Keep up the good work. Definitely take some time to review the readings and sites you did not get to this week later down the road. They were some really good ones this week!

See you in week 6.
Evelyn

Unknown said...

Dear Aashish and Evelyn,
Thanks for your comments.
I am really busy going to different colleges as the external superintendent to observe the examination of the university.I leave home early in the morning daily and return late evening with my reports to submit at the university after the week.Yet the course assignments have to completed by the deadline.So breathless run to cope up with my colleagues!
Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Mahesh,

I can't believe how much you manage to get done with you busy schedule! Thank you for continuing to do great work in this course despite all that you have going on.

I just wanted to remind you that you will be able to revisit all of the materials offered this week, as the course archives will be available to you for as long as the world wide web exist. It truly is a glorious thing!!!