Thursday, November 29, 2012

Understanding Learning Styles: A Herculean Task for Teachers

Dear Colleagues,
This week's topic is "Learning Styles" and I began to think about it the moment I began to read the references. The several types of learners on the basis of their Intelligence levels and interests based on the essay of Howard Gardner is stimulating to read. I was happy to see the categories and their explanations.
I am having the post-semester vacation now, so I could not apply this notion with my students and assess their "multiple intelligence". I can only visualize some of my students and their qualities on the basis of their past performances in curricular as well as extra-curricular activities.
Some may be active and some may be reflective, some may be extrovert and some may be introvert, some may be visual and some others may be aural or musical, like wise some may be sequential and some may be global. What I mean to say here that my advanced level learners are mostly passive, introvert and non-responsive, thinking but not taking decision type, etc.Individually, they may have personal hidden talents which I have not attempted to explore as a faculty of English in the university. In my department, I look at all my adult learners as equally capable and talented with the same level of comprehension and reception. But the response that they produce says something opposite and contradictory to my assumption.
Now the Edutopia's test will be done on each of them to assess their level of response and intelligence.
Once I use technology tools, it will be much easier for them to have self-assessment and reflection.
They may be motivated accordingly to pursue their talent and passion till they achieve success and satisfaction in their skills and abilities.
It may be easier for a teacher like me to understand their levels of intelligence, but they should simultaneously understand it along with their parents. For a teacher like me, it is a "Herculean task" definitely. I have very little contribution to make at this level when all are enrolled for master degree in English and all expect good score and grade which will help them to get a lucrative job and handsome amount of salary. All compete for the same, but a few are appointed in such posts. A lot remain jobless and unemployed, despite of degree and talent. Now technology may promote their self-motivation and learning to try other things in life and get quick success in them.I always tell my learners: "Try to be Masters of English, but Keep your Door Open for Other Things too." I know that they need job and salary in life, economic prosperity for their family and future, and they need to get them at the right time other wise they will lag behind others.
Many of the female students complete education and get married to remain within the four walls of the house without joining in any job/work.Of course, now the situation has changed a bit, bot not so optimistic.
It is very difficult to get the professionally skilled and competent English teachers in cities and towns to teach at the secondary schools and colleges, forget about the villages where there is absolutely no/little teaching taking place in India particularly. I like in the statement that says: "A Balance of the two is desirable"(Felder and Soloman) Here the term "two" stands for "activeness and being reflective", being sequential as well as global", "being musical as well as visual" and so on.
There is a proverb which says: "A jack of all trades, but master of none."
Now we require our learners to be cunning jacks rather than masters in the true sense. They may have frustrations at the end of the tunnel and we have to save them as teachers and well-wishers if we are concerned about the future situation seriously.
I became a bit extra-reflective on this issue and hope my colleagues may differ from me in many regards.
Let me see what they say.Thanks and best wishes.
Sincerely,
Mahesh     
   

4 comments:

extaxsieinelt.blogspot.com - Webskills in the ELT said...

Dear Classmate Mahesh Dey

I am worried that about your conception for learning styles. You find it is herculean taskto bring in the learning styles while teaching and learning.
Dear fellow learning styles do not concern with society'sattributes or concerns, rather it is connected with one's idea of being creative, craft and constructive in any sphere of teaching and learning.
The conception of learning styles is designed to reinforce the pattern to keep human mind in transition, in flexibility and to be at motivation level.

Learning styles addressed online and offline tools that we use to generate interaction, incentives, stimulation and importance to the students' knowledge.

I like your outburst against the background of the Indian educational system, yet my remark is constructive to enhance your talent that you have procured from this E-Teacher online scholarship course. Remember "where there is a will, there is a way."

With regards

Dr. Jayshree Singh

Unknown said...

Dear Jayshree,
Thanks for your comment on my post on "learning styles".My observations are purely based on my teaching at the local university to the MA students. In the new semester system, I get 8-10 lectures to complete four prescribed literary texts without students' texts and me lecturing mostly.I expressed my anguish over my inability to know various learning styles of my learners.
Anyhow, thanks again for your last optimistic suggestion-"Where there is a will, there is a way".Best wishes.
Mahesh

Unknown said...

Greetings Mahesh and Jayshree,

You have an interesting discussion here. When we are looking at the concepts of multiple intelligences and different learning styles, it is important to remember that our role as facilitator is to use a variety of teaching approaches and tools to cater to the varying learners we have. It would be impossible to know and fully understand each individual learner in your class. Rather, give them opportunities to get to know themselves better as learners. This is knowledge they will carry with them throughout their lives.

Have them take the multiple intelligences quiz for themselves, have them share results, and discuss what these different learning styles mean and how they relate to them. Continue to use a variety of approaches and styles and begin to observe your students and what they are responding to. This is an ongoing process for both the teacher and the learner, but the more aware we are as individuals of the best way we learn, the more we are able to learn.

Best,
Courtney

Unknown said...

Dear Courtney,
Thanks for your observation and feedback.
That is what I try to do as a facilitator, encouraging the learners to use more technology tools for acquiring knowledge and share with friends as much as possible.
Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Mahesh